The conventional definition of management is getting work done through people, but real management is developing people through work.
— Agha Hasan Abedi
How do you view performance development? Do you encourage your employees to come up with solutions or do you just give your employees the solutions you feel they need? Are you overwhelmed with yearly performance evaluations or do you view this time as an opportunity to review the feedback you have already given employees on their performance and plan for the next year?
The success of a supervisor is measured by how well those being supervised complete their tasks. Competency in performance development enables supervisors to help their employees set goals that will increase their ability to contribute to the success of the organization. Supervisors are able to help employees identify areas of strengths and areas in need of growth, set clear performance development plans, and monitor the success of employee performance.
Are you helping your employees reach their maximum potential? Complete the Performance Development Assessment to find out your areas of strength and areas for improvement. Then print the Performance Development Analysis Tool to help you determine which workshops will benefit you the most.
- Texas A&M University Library
- Rath, Tom. Strengths Finder 2.0. New York: Gallup, 2007. Print.
- Bacal, Robert, and Douglas Max. Perfect Phrases for Setting Performance Goals: Hundreds of Ready-to-use Phrases for Communicating Any Performance Plan or Review. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2011. Print.
- Nelson, Bob. 1001 Ways to Reward Employees. New York: Workman Pub., 1994. Print.
- Clifton, Donald O., Edward Anderson, and Laurie A. Schreiner. StrengthsQuest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career, and Beyond.Washington, D.C.: Gallup Organization, 2006. Print.