The Web Development Certificate Program is designed to help participants learn to create and modify static webpages using HTML and CSS. These HTML techniques can also be applied to HTML-formatted emails or newsletters.
Participants will hand-code webpages. Throughout the program, the participant will create webpages that follow good usability and accessibility principles. In addition, common graphics editing software will be employed to create and edit graphics for use on the web.
Course topics will cover the following software applications: Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
By completing the Web Development Certificate Program, each participant will develop the skills necessary to develop web content for the university. Specifically, participants will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between HTML and CSS
- Create page content using HTML and CSS appropriate to current web standards
- Create and modify web pages using a plain text editor
- Apply practices that make web pages more accessible
- Create and modify graphics for web use
A successful candidate for this program will have a basic user’s understanding of web pages and hyperlinks. Basic text editing is required to complete the coursework. No previous knowledge of writing HTML and CSS or using Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator is required.
- Target Audience
- The Web Development Certificate Program is designed for employees who contribute (or plan to contribute) to a Texas A&M website. This includes individuals who write, edit, design and/or code web content.
All courses, except for the Final Project, can be taken in any order (except those in a specific software track). Note: course requirements may be periodically updated and there may not be an equivalent. Please check with your program coordinator to see if an older class will count towards the requirement for the program
If you have limited web development experience, it is recommended that you proceed through the courses in the order listed below. Many of the courses in the program build upon each other (e.g., CSS requires a strong grasp of HTML).
- HTML - Fundamentals (2113020) (or HTML5 – Essentials)
- Cascading Style Sheets - CSS (290034)
- Adobe Photoshop CC 17 - (A) Fundamentals (2113021) (or Adobe Photoshop CC 15 - (A) Essentials)
- Adobe Illustrator CC 17 - (A) Fundamentals (2113027) (or Adobe Illustrator CC 15 - (A) Essentials)
- Brandguide.tamu.edu - Overview (2112254) (online)
- Color Models: CMYK & RGB (2112309) (online)
- Web Accessibility Overview (2111413) (online)
- Embedded Content: Video and Audio (online tutorial)
- Web Development Final Project* (average completion time is 10 hours including editing and feedback from the program coordinator)
*The Web Development Certificate Program requires a final project intended to reinforce the learning goals and objectives of the program. In this final project, the participant will perform required tasks with files in HTML, CSS, and Photoshop or Illustrator. Participants will be asked to create a website and create a logo for that website. Submissions will be evaluated according to whether or not the steps were performed correctly, using the skills taught in the program courses.
- The cost for the program is $59 plus any individual course fees if applicable (individual course costs are listed on the course schedule page).
- How do I complete the Web Development Certificate Program?
- Once you have completed the required courses in the Web Development Certificate Program, please save a PDF version of your transcript from TrainTraq and submit it via email to PDinfo@tamu.edu. Upon receipt of your transcript and verification that you have completed all required courses, the program coordinator will contact you about the Web Development Final Project.
- How do I enroll in the Web Development Certificate Program?
Ask your supervisor for approval, obtain your departmental FAMIS account number, enroll in the Certificate Program, and register for the individual courses in the program. Remember, in order to receive the Web Development Final Project and be awarded the certificate, you must enroll in the certificate program.
At this point, we are not currently accepting new registrations for this program. You may add yourself to the waiting list to receive updates via email regarding registration availability.
- Additional Information