The award winning Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate program is for all Texas A&M University employees who want to contribute to a positive work environment and increase their ability to work effectively with others in a diverse workplace. This program introduces participants to the value of diversity and inclusion, raises awareness about one’s own perspectives and how one’s actions impact others, provides education on laws and practices that impact hiring and respect, and offers strategies for creating and maintaining a workplace that not only accepts – but values – diversity.
This program considers diversity from a holistic perspective that includes, but is not limited to, differences in gender, race, sexual orientation, political and religious viewpoints, age, cultural identity, ability, and personal characteristics.
Driving forces behind this program include the following documents:
- Vision 2020, Imperative 6, Goal 2: Create an environment that respects and nurtures all members of the student, faculty, and staff community. Reduce to zero the number of students, faculty, or staff who leave because of a perception of a less-than-welcoming environment.
- Texas A&M University’s Strategic Plan Action 2015, Goal 4: Recognize and strengthen the contributions and the value of a diverse community of faculty, staff and administrators who serve Texas A&M University and the State of Texas.
- Texas A&M University Diversity Plan, Climate Goal: Promote a positive and supportive climate by identifying aspects in the climate of individual units and the University which foster and/or impede a working and learning environment that fully recognizes, values, and integrates diversity in the pursuit of academic excellence.
After completing the Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate Program, participants will be able to:
- Assess how their own and others’ cultural identity, filters and behaviors impact their work environment
- Respond to bias in a proactive and transformational way
- Utilize strategies to value and bridge differences among, and work more effectively with, people who differ from one another according to a wide variety of attributes
- Apply practices that comply with federal, state, and Texas A&M University statutes
- Demonstrate behaviors that contribute to a welcoming and respectful workplace
- Target Audience
Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace (DIW) certificate program is for Texas A&M University employees who are willing to examine how their attitudes impact the workplace climate, and who are committed to learning behaviors that will contribute to an inclusive and welcoming environment.
All requirements, except for the Capstone, can be taken in any order. Note: requirements may be periodically updated and there may be no course equivalencies.
- Core Courses (All courses, except for the Capstone, can be taken in any order)
- Developing Cultural Competence in the Workplace (211368) (foundational course)
- Introduction to Diversity and Inclusion (2111243) (online)
- Fostering Respect in a Diverse Workplace (2111242)
- Improving Interpersonal Communication Skills (2111260) (online)
- Interpersonal Communication Skills (211156)
- Bridging the Gap - The Multigenerational Workforce (2111702)
- ADA for Supervisors and Faculty (2111125) (online)
- Effective Hiring Practices (2111264) (online)
- Lost in Translation: Navigating Intercultural Communication in the Workplace (2111871)
- Diversity Training Institute (Department of Multicultural Services) 3 participation credits
- Enhancing Diversity Seminar Series (Office of the VP and Associate Provost for Diversity) 1 participation credit for attendance at each topic/session
- CommUnity Conversations (Department of Multicultural Services) 1 participation credit for attendance at each topic/session)
- Documentary Series (Department of Multicultural Services) 1 participation credit for attendance at each topic/session)
- Allies Advance Workshop (Aggie Allies) 2 participation credits
- Aggie Ability Awareness (Center on Disability and Development) 2 participation credits
- Other Diversity-related Activities – Events such as visiting lecturers, theatrical performances, and community celebrations not directly sponsored by Texas A&M that participants attend voluntarily and on their own time may be considered for participation credit. Contact the certificate program coordinator for eligibility consideration.
2Capstone: Once all workshops and electives have been completed, participants will receive a link to an Online Review in TrainTraq and an Independent Assignment. The capstone is intended to reinforce the knowledge and skills they have learned throughout the program. Average completion time is 2 to 4 hours.
Participants receive an invitation to an upcoming Certificate Program Recognition Reception after they have successfully completed all workshops, electives, the Online Review and the Independent Assignment.
- There is an administrative cost of $59 for the entire program. (Additionally, some courses have a small fee for materials and Texas A&M System employees have course registration fees: costs for each class are listed on course schedule page.)
- How do I complete the Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate Program?
- Once you have completed the required courses and earned at least 4 participation credits in approved elective activities, please save a PDF version of your transcript from TrainTraq and submit it via email to PDinfo@tamu.edu. Upon receipt of your transcript and verification that you have completed all required courses, the program coordinator will send you a link to an Online Review in TrainTraq and an Independent Assignment. When both are successfully completed, you will be eligible to receive your framed certificate at the next Certificate Program Recognition Reception.
- How do I enroll in the Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate Program?
Ask your supervisor for approval, obtain your departmental FAMIS account number, enroll in the Certificate Program, and register for the individual courses in the program. Remember, in order to attend the Certificate Program Recognition Reception and be awarded the certificate, you must enroll in the program.
At this point, we are not currently accepting new registrations for this program. You may add yourself to the waiting list to receive updates via email regarding registration availability.
- Additional Information