In Workday, the "Create Position" business process is designed to create a new position under a specific supervisory org. Positions must be created before any requisition can be posted, or any worker can start, with no exceptions.
When initiating, a supervisory organization (manager) must be selected first.
Below is a text-only guide to using this business process at Texas A&M University. For a job aid that includes images, please visit "Workday Help" in your Single Sign On (SSO) menu.
- Supervisory Organization - Cannot edit, shows supervisory organization selected earlier.
- Position Request Reason (several options)
- Create New Position - Choose when creating a brand new position to the supervisory org.
- Create Replacement Position - Choose when the new position is meant to replace a previous position that was closed.
- Job Posting Title - This is the working title of the position and may be different from the official title. This is what will appear in advertisements and on the Worker Profile page once an employee is hired.
- Number of Positions - Choose how many of this position you want to create; if creating multiple they will all be identical and will be labeled with a numeral at the end of the job posting title to differentiate them, such as Program Coordinator-1, Program Coordinator-2, etc.
There are two tabs below this: Hiring Restrictions, and Qualifications. Please fill out both.
Hiring Restrictions (Feeds to Requisition/Posting)
- Availability Date - Until this date arrives, the position will be locked with no ability to post.
- Earliest Hire Date - Presumably this would be the same as the availability date as the position will be locked from being able to fill until the date is reached.
- No Job Restrictions (checkbox) - NOT USED.
- Job Family - Not required. If a job family is selected, the next section will display all available Job Profiles within that Job Family.
- Note: If a Job Family is selected and then a Job Profile that is not within that Job Family is selected, Workday will not auto populate any position description information until this has been resolved.
- Job Profiles for Job Family - If a job family is selected this will show ALL job profiles within it.
- Job Profile - The official position title under SWPP. If a generic job description exists, selecting the Job Profile will auto populate the summary and description with generic data.
- Job Description Summary - A brief summary of the position's purpose and duties.
- Job Description - The only space to enter all job information data that will go on a requisition/posting, including duties, qualifications, required knowledge, skills, certifications, and etc.
- When entering the Job Description, it would be helpful to use Classification & Compensation's Position Description Template to ensure that all the required elements are present. This will reduce the number of calls and actions sent back to department for additional information.
- Location - College Station, Galveston, etc.
- Time Type - Full Time, Part Time
- Worker Type - Employee, Contingent Worker
- Note: Contingent worker is only to be used in some circumstances involving contract based employees or individuals tied to the university through benefits but otherwise not working here. All workers should be listed as Employees.
- Worker Sub-Type -Staff, Faculty, Temp/Casual, etc.
- Critical Job - NOT USED.
- Difficulty to Fill - NOT USED.
Qualifications (Feeds to Performance Evaluation)
- Certifications - Choose licenses and certs from drop down menus; will populate automatically from generic data if any exists.
- Competencies - NOT USED.
- Education - Choose minimum required education from drop downs; will populate automatically based on generic JD data if any exists.
- Work Experience - Choose minimum required experience from drop downs; will populate automatically based on generic JD data if any exists.
- Languages - Choose required or preferred languages as well as competencies, such as written, verbal, reading, etc.
- Responsibilities - Second space to enter job duties; this information will feed over to performance evaluations allowing managers to rate employees on performance of duties. Best to divide these job duties into sections so evaluation is not done on one large chunk of all duties.
- Skills - Select required skills from drop down menus.
- Training - Indicate any training required of employees from drop down menus.
DOCUMENTS MAY BE ATTACHED. However, bear in mind that attached memos will not stop Workday from routing the business process all the way to the Executive Approver level, nor does HR have the ability to alter or change Workday's routing. Also keep in mind that Workday is not a records retention document system, so anything attached to Workday will stay in the system forever, with no ability to remove.
After the above material is submitted and reviewed by the HR Partner, the following Subprocesses will trigger for the security role who initiated the action:
Change Organization Assignments For Worker
This subprocess will show the employee in question, the additional job being assigned, the supervisory org, and the effective date. There is very little to fill out or change.
- Company - Verify System Member is correct.
- TAMUS System Member Part - Verify member part is correct, ie 02 for main, 10 for Galveston, etc.
Default Compensation Change (Set as minimum under System Wide Pay Plan)
- Effective Date & Reason - Shows the earlier selected effective date and reason for processing.
- Total Base Pay - This will update automatically when salary data is entered below.
- Guidelines - This displays the System Wide Pay Plan Grade information; DO NOT EDIT OR TOUCH (Workday will let you edit this but you should not).
- Salary - Space where a monthly salary can be entered for salaried workers (if hourly, leave this whole section blank).
- Hourly - Space where hourly pay can be added or edited (if monthly, leave this whole section blank).
- Allowance - An Allowance may be added to the additional job if needed (will be subject to review).
- Merit - Do not add a merit plan to any position as merit is handled via a separate process.
- Consolidated review goes to HR Partner.
- After Review/Approval by HR Partner, action flows to Department Head
- The consolidated review then routes to Executive Approver.
Final subprocess triggers for the initiator:
Assign Costing Allocations (Use this to select source funding)
Please see the Assign Costing Allocation business process job aid.
After this, position is created.