Eligible employees are entitled to paid vacation leave each year. The amount of vacation leave each employee receives is determined by length of state service.
- Eligible employees may begin to use vacation accruals after six months of continuous state employment; additionally:
- previous faculty, staff, student, and wage employment with the state will count toward this requirement;
- state employees are required to satisfy the continuous six month requirement only once in his/her employment career with the state;
- employees may begin to use vacation leave on their true continuous six month anniversary. Example: an employee who begins state employment on January 15 may begin to use his/her available vacation leave on July 15.
- Students holding positions for which student status is a requirement for employment are not eligible for vacation leave.
- A supervisor may deny a request to use vacation leave if granting that leave will place an unreasonable burden on the department or work area.
- Previous employment with independent school districts and junior colleges will not count for purposes of leave accrual rate or vacation leave transfer.
- Employees who are on leave on the first workday of a month may not take vacation leave accrued for that month until the employee returns to duty.
- Accrued vacation leave is earned based on years of total state employment; you may review vacation accrual rates here.
- Special accrual rates for return-to-work retirees will apply; you may review accrual rates for returning retirees here.
Paid Leave Received From Or Transferred To Another State Agency
New Texas A&M employees with prior state employment or departing Texas A&M employees who transfer to another state agency may have their sick and/or vacation leave transferred to their new positions where appropriate. Administrators: You may use the forms below to validate the number of hours to be transferred or received.
- Leave Transfer Out Form
- Use this form to validate leave hours transferred out to your former employee's new state agency.
- Leave Transfer In Form
- Use this form to validate hours received from your new employee's prior state employer.
Vacation Leave Upon Termination of Employment
- Upon termination or separation from the University, an employee who has completed six months of continuous service is entitled to a lump-sum for all eligible unused vacation time.
- Employees who are in a non-leave-accruing position and are leaving or retiring from the University with a balance of previously earned vacation hours in a leave-eligible position will be compensated for those hours at the rate of pay in the last position held that the accrued vacation hours were earned (Texas Government Code 661.063[b]).
- Employees may request that they remain on the payroll to exhaust any eligible remaining vacation leave after their last day at work; however, the final decision rests with the department regarding the use of additional vacation days to remain on the payroll or the processing of a lump-sum payment.
System Regulation 31.03.01: Vacation