The Graphics and Illustration Certificate Program is designed to help participants learn to create professional graphics for print and web projects.
The program will help the participants work through many steps of the graphic creation and editing process. They will learn the essentials including: cropping and resizing photographs, editing and retouching images, creating original graphics, working with color, and exporting the files into formats for web or print.
Course topics will cover the following software applications: Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
After completing the Graphics and Illustration Certificate Program, each participant will be able to use certain Adobe Creative Suite programs to create and edit graphics. Specifically, participants will be able to:
- Create new and edit existing documents in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Identify and apply photo editing and graphic design terminology
- Save graphic documents into different file formats using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Retouch, color correct, and resize photographs with Adobe Photoshop
- Create original artwork for web and print publications using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Customize graphics using a wide array of options available in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Windows or Mac experience
- Basic understanding of graphic formats
- No prior knowledge of Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator required
- Target Audience
The Graphics and Illustration Certificate Program is for Texas A&M University employees who need to create and edit graphics for communications and/or marketing purposes.
All courses, except for the Final Project, can be taken in any order (except those in a specific software track). The general recommended order for the courses is indicated by the letters A, B, and C within the individual software areas below. Note: course requirements may be periodically updated and there may not be an equivalent. Please check with your program coordinator to see if an older class will count towards the requirement for the program.
- Adobe Photoshop CC 17 - (A) Fundamentals (2113021) (or Adobe Photoshop CC 15 - (A) Essentials)
- Adobe Photoshop CC 17 - (B) Image Corrections (2113034) (or Adobe Photoshop CC 15 - (B) Correcting Images)
- Adobe Photoshop CC 17 - (C) Advanced Layers and Artboards (2113066) (or Adobe Photoshop CC 15 - (C) Advanced Composition)
- Adobe Photoshop CC 17 - (C) Advanced Features (2113067) (or Adobe Photoshop CC 15 - (C) Advanced Features)
- Adobe Illustrator CC 17 - (A) Fundamentals (2113027) (or Adobe Illustrator CC 15 - (A) Essentials)
- Adobe Illustrator CC 17 - (B) Enriching Graphics (2113110) (or Adobe Illustrator CC 15 - (B) Enhancing Graphics)
- Color Models: CMYK & RGB (2112309) (online)
- Graphics Final Project* (average completion time is 18 hours including editing and feedback from the program coordinator)
*The Graphics and Illustration Certificate Program requires a final project intended to reinforce the learning goals and objectives of the program. In this final project, the participant will perform required tasks with files in Photoshop and Illustrator. Participants will be asked to retouch images, create a custom logo, create a two-sided postcard, and create an original piece of artwork. Submissions will be evaluated according to whether or not the steps were performed correctly, using the skills taught in the program courses.
There is an administrative cost of $59 for the entire program. (Additionally, individual course costs for A&M System employees are listed on the course schedule page).
- How do I complete the Graphics and Illustration Certificate Program?
Once you have completed the required courses in the Graphics and Illustration Certificate Program, please save a PDF version of your transcript from TrainTraq and submit it via email to EODinfo@tamu.edu. Upon receipt of your transcript and verification that you have completed all required courses, the program coordinator will contact you about the Graphics Final Project.
- How do I enroll in the Graphics and Illustration Certificate Program?
Ask your supervisor for approval, obtain your departmental FAMIS account number, enroll in the Certificate Program, and register for the individual courses in the program. Remember, in order to receive the Graphics Final Project and be awarded the certificate, you must enroll in the certificate program.
At this point, we are not currently accepting new registrations for this program. You may add yourself to the waiting list to receive updates via email regarding registration availability.
- Additional Information