The Fundamentals of Office Administration I certificate program is designed for office professionals who are interested in enhancing their office management skills. It is also designed for office professionals who wish to apply the latest trends and technology to increase their productivity.
The program helps participants perform computer-based and non-computer based office tasks more effectively while contributing to a professional, inclusive, and service-oriented office culture. Software courses cover the basics of Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word. Professional development courses focus on interpersonal relations, communication and management skills. Upon the completion of the coursework, participants receive an online review and independent assignment intended to synthesize the concepts learned in the certificate program.
After completing the Fundamentals of Office Administration I Certificate Program, participants will be able to:
- Use foundational Microsoft Office skills to create documents, manage data in a spreadsheet, manage email and calendars, and create mass mailings
- Demonstrate skills necessary to efficiently manage an office, including email best practices, time management, office automation, record management and file management
- Model principles of service, diversity and inclusion, and professionalism within a department’s culture
Some required courses for Fundamentals of Office Administration I certificate program assume a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows or Mac OS.
- Target Audience
The Fundamentals of Office Administration I certificate program is designed for Texas A&M employees who provide office and administrative support.
All requirements, with the exception of the Capstone, can be taken in any order. Note: requirements may be periodically updated and there may be no course equivalencies.
- Getting to Know Microsoft Office 2016 (2112950) (online)
- TAMU File Management (2111142) (online)
- Essentials of Office Automation (2111204) (online)
- A Culture of Service (2111241) (online)
- Introduction to Diversity and Inclusion (2111243) (online)
- Professional Presence (2111254) (online)
- Fundamentals of Managing Departmental Records (2111143) (online)
- Tips for Better Email Communication (2112548) (online)
- Lasting Impressions: Providing Excellent Customer Service
- Organization and Efficiency (2111495) (online) (or Managing Your Time)
- Microsoft Word 2016: (A) Fundamentals (2112858) (or Microsoft Word 2013 - Essentials)
- Microsoft Excel 2016: (A) Fundamentals (2112851) (or Microsoft Excel 2013 – Essentials)
- Microsoft Outlook 2016: (A) Fundamentals (2112854) (or Microsoft Outlook 2013 - Essentials)
- Microsoft Word 2016: (B) Mail Merge - Letters and Emails (2112893) (or Microsoft Word 2013 - Mail Merge - Letters and Emails)
1Capstone: Once all workshops have been completed, participants receive a link to an Online Review in TrainTraq and an Independent Assignment. The capstone is intended to reinforce the knowledge and skills they have learned throughout the program. Average completion time is 2 to 4 hours.
Participants receive an invitation to an upcoming Certificate Program Recognition Reception after they have successfully completed all workshops, the Online Review and the Independent Assignment.
- There is an administrative cost of $59 for the entire program. (Additionally, individual course costs for Texas A&M System employees are listed on the course schedule page).
- How do I complete the Fundamentals of Office Administration I Certificate Program?
- Once you have completed the required courses in the Fundamentals of Office Administration I certificate program, please save a PDF version of your transcript from TrainTraq and submit it via email to EODinfo@tamu.edu. Upon receipt of your transcript and verification that you have completed all required courses, the program coordinator will send you a link to an Online Review in TrainTraq and an Independent Assignment. When both are successfully completed, you will be eligible to receive your framed certificate at the next Certificate Program Recognition Reception.
- How do I enroll in the Fundamentals of Office Administration I Certificate Program?
Ask your supervisor for approval, obtain your departmental FAMIS account number, enroll in the Certificate Program, and register for the individual courses in the program. Remember, in order to attend the Certificate Program Recognition Reception and be awarded the certificate, you must enroll in the program.
At this point, we are not currently accepting new registrations for this program. You may add yourself to the waiting list to receive updates via email regarding registration availability.
- Additional Information